I made these wonderfully rich and moist cupcakes for Xander’s Very Hungry Caterpillar Birthday. They were the most raved about dessert at the party.
Cupcakes- bon apetit by Barbara Fairchild
Frosting- My Baking Addiction
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 16 standard 1/3 cup muffin cups with paper liners.
2. Combine cocoa powder and chocolate in bowl. Pour 1/2 cup boiling water over; whisk until smooth. Whisk in buttermilk.
3. Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt in another medium bowl to blend. Using electric mixer, brown sugar, oil, 1/2 cup sugar, eggs, and vanilla in large bowl until light and creamy, about 2 minutes. Beat in flour mixture, alternating chocolate mixture in 2 additions.
4. Divide batter among the liners filling about 2/3 full.
5. Bake until tester inserted comes out with some crumbs attached about 18 minutes. Cool in pans on cooling rack about 10 minutes. Transfer to rack and cool completely before frosting.
These are SO very good topped with the Nutella frosting! Everyone at the party enjoyed them. I can’t wait to share the rest of the dessert bar and party foods with you. We had a wonderful time celebrating Xander’s third birthday. We are also happy to be enjoying a quiet day at home today on this long holiday weekend.