Fall Foliage On the East Coast

by Mindi Stavish on September 26, 2012

19 Flares Twitter 2 Facebook 16 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 1 Email -- Filament.io 19 Flares ×

Washington DC National mall during fall

Fall Foliage in New England

I heart fall foliage. Is there honestly a more beautiful time of the year than fall? Every year I eagerly await mother nature’s spectacular leaf display with colors of orange, red and yellow creating picturesque scenes. In New England fall, arrives around the end of September or beginning of October. The trees are barren by November. Growing up in Maine, I never fully appreciated just how pretty the fall foliage was around my “neck of the woods”. Now as an adult I have enjoyed trips up north during the fall. A few years ago my best friend got married in October in northern Maine. The sights were just amazing.

Washington DC in the Fall

Here in the Washington DC area fall foliage occurs much later. Every year I anxiously await the changing of the colors to snap pictures of fall foliage at the national mall. When foliage finally peaks in late October or early November magic happens.

fall foliage yellow leaves

Two years ago, Xander and I spent a fall day playing in the leaves and enjoying the sights. I have such wonderful memories of that day. The colors were vibrant and the weather was perfect. Xander loved feeling and tasting the leaves. He was so tiny and bald then!!

Sadly I did not have a chance to photograph fall foliage at the National Mall last year. A fall foliage photo shoot with the boys is on my fall bucket list this year!

Leaf Peeping in The Blue Ridge Mountains

One of the great things about living in the Washington DC area is that we are not far from the Blue Ridge Mountains and Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah Valley. It has been two years since we have done the trip to Skyline Drive. The park is gorgeous and the entire area is just a lot of fun. We are planning on a leaf peeping trip this year. I have my eye on West Virginia and am super excited about it. Here are some highlights of our trip to Skyline Drive.

What is fall like in your neck of the woods? Does your family take a fall foliage road trip? Come share your favorite fall memories with the SITS girls this week with their Fall Back Into Blogging Challenge this week.

Mama’s Losin’ It parenting BY dummies

{ 32 comments… read them below or add one }

Heather J
Twitter: SugarNSpiceLife
September 26, 2012 at 9:18 AM

We are stoked to do Skyline Drive. Mike has been on his Motorcycle with friends, I have yet to go. As soon as Hailee come, we are going!!

Gahhh! I love Fall!!!!
Heather J recently posted..Down Home Fair Fun {Year 2}My Profile

Mindi September 26, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Heather you will love it!!! You have time…it doesn’t peak for awhile up there.
Mindi recently posted..Fall Foliage On the East CoastMy Profile

Rosey September 26, 2012 at 9:22 AM

I’m thinking of booking a surprise trip on the neighboring Canada rail that takes you over the tree tops to see the leaves for my hubby and my anniversary.

your pictures are great, the leaves changes so much already!
Rosey recently posted..Wordless Wednesday (World’s Luckiest Mom)My Profile

Mindi September 26, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Ohhhh that sounds like sooo much fun!!
Mindi recently posted..Fall Foliage On the East CoastMy Profile

Sarah
Twitter: hellonurse182
September 26, 2012 at 10:04 AM

You make me want to come and take pics in those beautiful colors!
Sarah recently posted..TAT: Things I Actually SayMy Profile

Mindi September 26, 2012 at 11:09 AM

You totally should some fall. You would just love it!
Mindi recently posted..Fall Foliage On the East CoastMy Profile

Shannon @ Heart...Captured September 26, 2012 at 10:29 AM

My boyfriend and I started an annual trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway last year (we’re in South-Central VA) and I can’t wait to head up there this year. Fall is my favorite time of year!
Shannon @ Heart…Captured recently posted..A Walk in the ForestMy Profile

Mindi September 26, 2012 at 11:11 AM

So much fun!! Have a blast this year. We use to stay at a bed and breakfast Cave Hill Inn. It’s amazing!!!

Sara Ivy September 26, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I LOVE NEW ENGLAND IN THE FALL. I used to live in NH and we moved the first week in Oct. Coming through all the mountains with all those colors was breath taking. Before that I had only lived in the midwest and there are only a few trees in more metropolitan areas and ZERO mountains so I’d never seen anything so beautiful in all my life. It truly made me fall in love with New England.
Sara Ivy recently posted..Wednesday Want List: Fall FashionMy Profile

Mindi September 26, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Fall is really the only time of the year I miss living in New England. I could live without the winters there. LOL
Mindi recently posted..Fall Foliage On the East CoastMy Profile

Hope September 26, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Your pictures are absolutely beautiful. Amazing! Your little one is soo cute. I love Fall and your post reminds me why. Although I don’t get the color changes in my neck of the woods, I love to see them and enjoy. Great post

Sourire11
Twitter: sourire11
September 26, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Beautiful!!! We went to Maine when I was pregnant with my first – such a pretty spot to spend fall.
Sourire11 recently posted..Rosby’s Berry Farm – a Fall Tradition.My Profile

Leslie September 26, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Such amazing pictures! Is it just me or is it really easy to miss the foliage peak in the DC area? I never seem to get it right. Now you have me wanting to go to the National Mall to take pictures with the family! (or go back to my college alma mater right by Skyline Drive)
Leslie recently posted..Fall SurpriseMy Profile

Twisted Cinderella September 26, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Beautiful Fall colors! Fall is lovely here in NS too.

Twisted Cinderella recently posted..Wordless Wednesday – Six Months OldMy Profile

Karin September 26, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Gorgeous pictures. Your son is adorable and the trees are absolutely amazing!
Karin recently posted..Falling Through the LeavesMy Profile

Melissa September 26, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Lovely colors in such fun photos! Looks like some great Fall memories! (Visiting from SITS and thanks so much for your comment … hand-knit sweaters are best) :)

Tami Von Zalez September 26, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Ooooo, our leaves haven’t changed yet here in Cali.

Visiting from SITS blog event.

thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

Rach (DonutsMama) September 26, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Those pictures are gorgeous. One of these days I want to go to New England and go leaf peeping. In the meantime I’ll just be jealous of pictures like these!
Rach (DonutsMama) recently posted..Autumn HopesMy Profile

S. Franklin
Twitter: thedivvyspot
September 27, 2012 at 12:47 AM

These photos are absolutely gorgeous! It makes me miss the change of seasons as I knew it back home in Chicago. I think fall is just such a romantic time of year. Great job!
S. Franklin recently posted..Stay-at-home mom: Easiest job in the world?My Profile

Adelina Priddis
Twitter: HomeMaidSimple
September 27, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I’m so jealous of anyone that gets to live on the east coast! Beautiful pictures!
Adelina Priddis recently posted..Fall vs Autumn – Think About It!My Profile

Jerralea September 27, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Your photos are lovely! I do hope you get to take fall photos with both your boys this year. I’m sure they will turn out gorgeous.
Jerralea recently posted..FALL TOP TENMy Profile

carol September 28, 2012 at 1:16 PM

I have always wanted to visit the New England states in the Fall. That is at the top of my bucket list. It’s as beautiful as I imagine. I live in the West and love it, but love to visit the East when I get the chance.

The picture of your little Xander (do you pronounce it as if it were Zander?) is just precious!

Ashley
Twitter: CrayonsCaffeine
September 30, 2012 at 11:31 AM

I love all of your Fall pictures! I’m so sad to be missing Fall in DC this year :( Fall doesn’t hit GA until around November and we will be making the most of it.
Ashley recently posted..I made a mistake.My Profile

How To Create A Blog June 13, 2013 at 5:01 PM

First off I want to say wonderful blog! I had a quick question
that I’d like to ask if you do not mind. I was curious to know how you center yourself and clear your thoughts prior to writing. I have had difficulty clearing my mind in getting my ideas out. I do take pleasure in writing however it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are usually lost just trying to figure out how to begin. Any ideas or tips? Kudos!
How To Create A Blog recently posted..How To Create A BlogMy Profile

GoDaddy Promo Code June 17, 2013 at 6:12 PM

It’s remarkable for me to have a web page, which is beneficial for my knowledge. thanks admin
GoDaddy Promo Code recently posted..GoDaddy Promo CodeMy Profile

IM With Jamie Review June 28, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Hmm it looks like your website ate my first comment (it was super long)
so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying
your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still new to the whole thing. Do you have any points for inexperienced blog writers? I’d definitely appreciate it.
IM With Jamie Review recently posted..IM With Jamie ReviewMy Profile

How To Register A Domain Name July 2, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Your way of telling all in this piece of writing is actually pleasant, every one be able
to simply know it, Thanks a lot.
How To Register A Domain Name recently posted..How To Register A Domain NameMy Profile

Web Names July 5, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Post writing is also a excitement, if you be familiar with afterward you
can write or else it is complex to write.
Web Names recently posted..Web NamesMy Profile

Godaddy Discount Coupons July 26, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Aw, this was a really good post. Taking the time and actual effort to create a good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate a whole lot and
never seem to get nearly anything done.
Godaddy Discount Coupons recently posted..Godaddy Discount CouponsMy Profile

Go Daddy Review July 27, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Hello, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just wondering if you get a lot of spam feedback?
If so how do you protect against it, any plugin or
anything you can advise? I get so much lately it’s driving me mad so any help is very much appreciated.
Go Daddy Review recently posted..Go Daddy ReviewMy Profile

Godaddy Review July 29, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Hmm is anyone else having problems with the pictures on
this blog loading? I’m trying to determine if its a problem on my end or if it’s
the blog. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Godaddy Review recently posted..Godaddy ReviewMy Profile

Just Host July 31, 2013 at 10:33 PM

I absolutely love your blog and find almost all of
your post’s to be just what I’m looking for. can you offer guest writers to write content for you?
I wouldn’t mind creating a post or elaborating on most of the subjects you write regarding here. Again, awesome web log!
Just Host recently posted..Just HostMy Profile