A Day to Cherish at Smallwood State Park

by Mindi Stavish on November 7, 2012

3 Flares Twitter 3 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Email -- Filament.io 3 Flares ×

Since I’m now sadly back to working 5 days a week instead of 4, I’m a bit bummed the boys and I will no longer have an entire day off in the middle of the week for fun adventures. I have been working a 32 hour week for two years now and absolutely loved it. The time has come where we just need that extra 8 hours of pay though, and so with a new job comes another 8 hours of work a week. Sigh! I am thankful for the time I had working 32 hours and didn’t take it for granted.

A few weeks ago on a Thursday, I brought the boys to Smallwood State Park here in Southern Maryland. We spent most of the day there, exploring the playground, taking a nature walk, and enjoying a picnic lunch. It was a day I will remember for a long time.

I will remember his smile as he first saw the playground made from tires.

I will remember that it was the first time this fall there was a chill in the air, so out came the pumpkin hats.

I will remember watching in awe how fearless they climbed and explored.

I will remember how their little fingers dug deep into the dirt.

I will remember how he poked around in the sand, as if on a treasure hunt with pirates.

I will remember his laughter as I squeezed him tight.

I will remember how he snuggled into my chest when I picked him up.

I will remember how the sunlight lit up their bright blue eyes like the sky on a clear day.

I will always remember their excitement as we wandered through the nature trail. Their first time in the woods, they were in love.

I will remember my boys, at this moment, nothing else mattered.

parenting BY dummiesEssence of Now

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Carmen B. November 7, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Thankfully and regretfully, life changes as quickly as the tide. While you may have to work more now, it may not always be so. :o) Your pictures make me miss the East Coast during fall! Every fall, I would take my boys on walks through the woods and we would inspect the different leaves. It looks like you guys had a great time at the park! I need to email you soon. I’m sorry that I haven’t. I had too many balls up in the air at once, lol. They all seemed to fall this month. :o/
Carmen B. recently posted..HalloweenMy Profile

Heather J
Twitter: SugarNSpiceLife
November 7, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Great photos! It looks like you guys had a fun day together! Hugs Mama! I hope this job is everything you hope for it to be and more. Take it easy preggers!
Heather J recently posted..Little girls follow meMy Profile

Heidi
Twitter: thinknest
November 7, 2012 at 5:58 PM

It looks like you had a lovely and beautiful day in every way. The joys of parenting are so precious and pass by so quickly. It’s wonderful to see you soaking up each special moment. While I think it’s great for young children to be with their parents, I think it’s even more wonderful for parents to create meaningful memories during the time spent with their children. Well done, Mama!

Ashley
Twitter: CrayonsCaffeine
November 7, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I love all the photos Mindi! Those boys of yours are going to be heart breakers with those blue eyes of theirs. And that looks like a fun park, wish I would have found it when I was there.
Ashley recently posted..DIY Halloween Candy BucketMy Profile

Greta @gfunkified November 11, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Such a special day. There’s something so amazing about discovering the woods and a new playground for the very first time.
Greta @gfunkified recently posted..Project 365: Week 45My Profile

Jessica November 11, 2012 at 1:15 PM

All good memories!

My kids have a pumpkin hat too. So cute when they wear it.
Jessica recently posted..Essence of Now: HeavenMy Profile

Mindi Stavish November 12, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I love their pumpkin hats. I knit them and plan on doing it every year until they say “no more”. :) That will be a sad day.

Natalie @MamaTrack November 12, 2012 at 8:17 PM

What an absolutely perfect day. I love it. And the pictures are gorgeous!
Natalie @MamaTrack recently posted..Daddy LoveMy Profile