Car Accident

by Mindi Stavish on January 31, 2013

1 Flares Twitter 1 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Email -- Filament.io 1 Flares ×

fire truck

Last Saturday afternoon my family and I were headed to dinner on a local highway we drive on frequently, when my worst nightmare came true. A rookie driver pulled onto oncoming traffic without regarding the fact that my family was traveling down the very same road at about 50 mph. My husband was driving and quickly hit the brakes, swerving to the right in an attempt to avoid the collision. As our beastly Toyota Hylander plummeted toward her red car, my thoughts were racing, “Holy shit, we are going to hit her. Oh my god, please protect my babies.”.

The impact was earth shattering.

Bruising.

Mind erasing.

Ear piercing.

The silence that followed the split second later was horrible.

my view-2

I feared what I would find in the back seat.

Our tiny precious boys, strapped into their carseats, were not making a sound.

Bracing myself for the worst, I quickly whipped my entire body around to meet the eyes of my first born.

He was alive, breathing, and appearing to be unharmed. His big blue eyes wide-eyed with shock.

I just wanted to wrap my big mama arms around him and never let go.

Breathing a quick sigh of relief, I then propped myself up and over my seat to lay my eyes on my youngest baby boy, who is thankfully still rear facing.

When his little head moved I finally let out a big sigh of relief. His eyes were open and his expression was somber.

Relief flooded over me, but then dread followed.

The baby. My 20 week little baby with 20 more weeks left to grow inside of me. Was my body enough to protect my unborn child from harm?

People raced to our car, as I watched the scene unfold.

The rookie driver hysterical on the side of the road, the firetruck racing to the scene with their red lights flashing, the coldness of the night chilling my body.

my view-4

My husband and I agreed that I needed to go to the ER for the baby to be evaluated. I turned to the boys and told them, “Mommy will be back, I promise.” with tears in my eyes. The question left unanswered, would I be returning without their unborn sibling?

The EMTs rolled me into the ambulance on that cold night. As soon as the doors closed, tears fell down my face.

my view-3

Shock.

Fear.

Anger.

I waited to feel the slightest movement of the baby, but felt nothing.

The sirens blared. I watched out the window as the world passed me by.

The 20 minute ride felt like eternity.

When we arrived at the ER I was wheeled right into a room. Shortly after the EMT’s left, a nurse greeted me. Her smile and demeanor a bright ray of hope. She left and returned about 10 minutes later with a fetal doppler.

Cold gel slathered on my bump.

Wand to stomach.

I held my breath and waited.

Thump, whoosh, thump, woosh. One happy heartbeat.

Tears of joy this time. Relief for now.

With the confirmation of a heartbeat I was soon wheeled up to the Labor and Delivery floor. When I stood up for the first time since getting into the ambulance I felt wet.

“Do not panic, do not panic.” my inner voice said, as I told the nurse. She soon checked me for amniotic fluid and thankfully it was not.

Another huge sigh of relief.

More gel on my baby bump.

The fetal doppler singing once again.

The nurse hooked me up to a machine that would measure any cotractions I may be having.

Holding my breath once again, I waited.

The minutes crawled by.

When the nurse returned to give me the news that the doctor felt I was ready to be discharged I was filled with joy.

As I walked down the empty hospital hallway toward the exit, my mind filled with thoughts of home, my family. the accident, and our car moving toward the out of place red car.

It all could have gone so differently.

Life as I know it completly changing.

I am thankful. My family is still standing as a unit.

My pregnancy continues.

Baby kicks being felt.

A nursery to decorate.

An adorable coming home outfit to choose.

Almost a week after our accident, my husband and I continue to struggle with unimaginable pain, yet we are thankful. We have so much life to live.

Birthdays to celebrate.

Hugs to give.

Tears to wipe away.

Graduations to attend.

Weddings to plan.

Their whole lives ahead of them.

We still have it all.

Mama’s Losin’ It

{ 23 comments… read them below or add one }

Maria January 31, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Stopping by from Mama Kat’s
I am so thankful you are all okay – all FIVE of you
My first tear fell when I got to teh line about teh expression of your first born
My tears were free falling by the end!
What a wonderfully written post – and what a wondeful ending
I’m glad you are all well

Staci January 31, 2013 at 10:47 AM

This brought tears to my eyes. So scary! Glad you all are ok!!

Laura January 31, 2013 at 10:55 AM

hey…so glad to hear everyone is ok! that must have been terrible for you. how were the boys when you got home?

ang January 31, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Oh my goodness! First I have to say I’m sooo glad that you five are all ok!! Secondly, I have to say that I have goodebumps, not just from the story, but from the way that you wrote it. You are an amazing writer. Hugs! :)
ang recently posted..Apple Carrot BreadMy Profile

Shell January 31, 2013 at 11:22 AM

How terrifying! I’m so glad that you and your family are okay!
Shell recently posted..Here I Go Again ReviewMy Profile

Diane
Twitter: OneLoCoMommy
January 31, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Oh sweetie, I’m glad everyone is ok. Getting into accidents suck to begin with let alone your circumstances. {HUG}
Diane recently posted..No Plans? No Problem, Right?My Profile

Diane@BeStillaMinute
Twitter: bestillaminute
January 31, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Oh, I was so relieved to find a happy ending at the end of this story!
Diane@BeStillaMinute recently posted..About Us…My Profile

Megan January 31, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Oh my! I’m so glad you are ok! How terrifying. Did the rookie driver apologize? Did she know you were pregnant? I guess I ask, because if I were in your position I’d imagine I’d be so angry with her and wanting to say “what were you thinking, pulling out like that!!?” ugh! I’m actually angry FOR you right now. arg!
Megan recently posted..Acceptance: Love your child as she isMy Profile

Chandra - NowThisLife.com January 31, 2013 at 12:02 PM

First time visitor, stopping in from Mama Kat’s. Even though I don’t know you, I too, am so glad that you and your family are safe. Hug those kiddos tightly today and good luck with the rest of your pregnancy:)

Sarah [Nurse Loves Farmer]
Twitter: hellonurse182
January 31, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I’m just really glad you’re all ok. Hope your hubby’s concussion symptoms dissipate soon!
Sarah [Nurse Loves Farmer] recently posted..The Hands Free RevolutionMy Profile

Renee C. January 31, 2013 at 12:09 PM

How frightening! When I saw the title of your post, all I was thinking about was you and your baby (knowing you are pregnant) and praying you were ok. So glad to hear there a was a happy ending and that your whole family is safe. Big hugs xx
Renee C. recently posted..Blog Tour Spotlight and Giveaway: Night Buddies (Book 2) by Sands HetheringtonMy Profile

Bee January 31, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Yikes! What a horrifying experience. I’m so glad you’re all ok.
Bee recently posted..5 Random Facts About Me and My FamilyMy Profile

Candice
Twitter: cammcdan
January 31, 2013 at 3:18 PM

So scary. I was so relieved to see you guys were all okay after I saw this on IG. You are right, it’s eye opening. It’s mind-blowing how quickly life could change forever. P.S. You know how we are always finding new things we have in common? Well. Guess what I drive? :)
Candice recently posted..if you really knew me: part IIMy Profile

Jackie January 31, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I saw your pic on IG and was a bit worried. I’m glad to know that everyone is doing just fine.
Jackie recently posted..A #SentimentalJourney with Emmy RossumMy Profile

Julie Moore
Twitter: NaturalFreeBlog
January 31, 2013 at 5:25 PM

That made me choke up. I’m so glad you are all ok! You all will be in my prayers, that’s for sure!
Julie Moore recently posted..White Chicken Chili (Soy, Nut, Fish, Wheat and Egg-Free, Can Be Milk-Free)My Profile

Lollie ~ The.Fortuitous Housewife
Twitter: Fortuitouswife
February 1, 2013 at 1:34 AM

You beautifully capture in words what was a truly terrifying moment.
So thankful you all are unscathed.
Lollie ~ The.Fortuitous Housewife recently posted..Knitting Feverishly For a Very Special BirthdayMy Profile

Zarina February 1, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Soooo happy to hear you are all ok, I can not imagine how scared you were, hugs!!!!!!!!!!!

Ashley February 1, 2013 at 9:17 AM

So relieved to hear you and your family are safe and sound. Thank you for sharing your amazing story with us and reminding us to live each moment to the fullest and never forget to hold our little ones close!

Steph February 1, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I am so, so glad that everyone is ok!
Steph recently posted..Pampers Swaddlers NOW in Size 4 and 5!My Profile

Kat February 3, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Oh my gosh, I have goosebumps! How scary for everyone!! I’m so glad you all were okay and I kind of want to smack the other driver. Come on people! Be careful!!
Kat recently posted..Hawaiian Baby NamesMy Profile

Dawn M February 4, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Stopping by from Mama Kat’s. What powerful writing! Transported me right into the terror of that moment. So glad that you and your family are alright! God’s blessings :)
Dawn M recently posted..That’s random…My Profile

Linda (The Princess Blogger) February 5, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Oh my gosh! I’m so glad you were all ok! Stopping by from MamaKat’s ! Excellent post!
Linda (The Princess Blogger) recently posted..MamaKat’s Writers Workshop: The Top 5 Random Bits of Trivia about The Princess Bloggers’ Family…My Profile

Dale February 10, 2013 at 11:57 PM

One of the breathe-taking events I saw. Looking at the damage, that was pretty close! Thank god you’re kids were fine and you can still continue all the planned activities. I just hope that this accident can be avoided if people can just follow all the safety rules while off the road and avoid distracted driving.
Dale recently posted..Lawsuit for Toddler’s Wrongful Death Filed against Anderson County Sheriff’s Office and OfficerMy Profile