Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Party: Food, Decorations, and Activity Ideas

by Mindi Stavish on March 6, 2013

9.6K Flares Twitter 1 Facebook 42 Google+ 6 Pin It Share 9.5K Email -- Filament.io 9.6K Flares ×

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle PartyLast month we celebrated our oldest son’s fourth birthday with a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle party. After recovering from all the preparations, decorating and celebrating I finally have a chance to share with you the party details. For further party details browse my TMNT party Pinterest board.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Party Food

I put a lot of energy into the party favors and decorations for this party, and kept the food fairly simple. Since the ninja turtles love pizza we ordered six large pizzas and served them with turtle power salad and fruit kabobs. The kabob fruit colors represented all of the colors of the ninja turtles.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle party food

For the first time in my four years of birthday party planning, I hired someone to make the cake. I was not disappointed. Wendy’s Cake By Designs did an amazing job. I love how each ninja turtle had a different expression and Xander adored his cake. Not to mention it tasted as good as it looked!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle cake

TMNT sewer lid cake top

TMNT cake

Instead of ice cream we made chocolate and ninja green milkshakes, which were delicious!

ninja turtle milk shake

Ninja Turtle Party Decorations

I continued my streak of using paper lanterns for party decorations, to create a big statement. This is a very cheap and easy way to fill up a large space.

MDS_4069

Paper Lantern Ninja Turtles

On the entry way table, I placed a picture from each of Xander’s past birthday’s and a styrofoam turtle head.

birthday party table top decorations

Ninja Turtle entry way table decorations

I made a total of four styrofoam ninja turtles out of artificial styrofoam balls, felt, and google eyes. A super simple project!

Turtle heads out of styrofoam balls

The third room I decorated was the dining room, which is where we open presents. Simple streamers and a teenage mutant ninja turtle party banner brought the room color and spunk.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle birthday party banner

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle party banner

Ninja Turtle Party Activities and Favors

Instead of buckets of plastic trinkets that would most likely end up at the bottom of a toy box or the trash can, I opted for homemade party favors that could also be used during and after the party. First, I made ninja turtle masks for all little guests. Yes, even the four month old! Check out how easy these masks are to make, including my superhero mask pattern.

Ninja turtle mask party favors

I thought it would be fun for the kids to have a party favor they could help create and then play with at home. What better way to celebrate a pizza party than by decorating pizza boxes and building a pizza slice. I purchased 50 white pizza boxes (for $15.00 including shipping) on e-bay. I then created a pattern for a single pizza slice using the Melissa and Doug felt pizza set as a guide. I plan on posting the pizza slice tutorial soon.

The kids had a lot of fun decorating their pizza boxes and building their slices.

pizza party birthday favors

DSC_0234

The masks were a huge hit too!

MDS_4060

MDS_4014

baby ninja turtle

It was another fun and successful party! Now I have 1 month to plan the next birthday party. Time to get to work!

Do you enjoy planning your child’s birthday parties? What tips do you have for keeping it simple and fairly inexpensive? Or do you like to go all out?

Linking up to some fantastic ladies for Wordy Wednesday!

parenting BY dummies

{ 23 comments… read them below or add one }

Elaine A. March 6, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Wow, this is SO fun and creative and wonderful! I love the masks and the lanterns, not to mention the cute felt pizzas – so great! What a great party you put together for your cute little guy. :) Have fun with the next one!
Elaine A. recently posted..Old School Blogging, MarchMy Profile

Mindi Stavish March 8, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Thanks so much. I really did have a lot of fun and it was even more fun to watch the kids have a blast at the party.

MG Atwood March 6, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Wow! You went all out. I love the use of the lanterns, and that cake is amazing! The little ones in the masks is precious!
MG Atwood recently posted..Wordless WednesdayMy Profile

Arnebya March 7, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Aw, Mindi, I don’t want to steal your whole party idea but DAMN I’M ABOUT TO STEAL YOUR WHOLE PARTY IDEA. Seriously, I love this (I am still drooling over the cake photos), every bit of it and come September when Z turns 4 (unless of course he switches yet again from the turtles to Spiderman to Superman to Batman) this’ll be his party. I. LOVE. IT. ALL.

And a baby in a mask? Cute overload.
Arnebya recently posted..Guest posting at Mama’s Comfort CampMy Profile

Mindi Stavish March 8, 2013 at 2:12 PM

hahah please do!!! It was a blast to put together! Yeah, Xander went from wanting a Star Wars party to TMNT. I am sooo glad he changed his mind. Star Wars I just can’t get behind.

ang March 7, 2013 at 11:30 AM

what a good idea to use the lanterns for your TMNT theme – they look awesome! :)
ang recently posted..Adorable Water Bottles on Pick Your Plum TodayMy Profile

Nicole
Twitter: Coastiewife321
March 7, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Everything looks fabulous–you’re so clever and talented!!

Mindi Stavish March 8, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Thanks Nicole! It was a lot of fun!

dumb mom March 12, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Can you just come over and give #2 his birthday party this weekend? Left up to me he’s getting a movie and dinner.
dumb mom recently posted..The Unsightly Side Effects of Working Out.My Profile

Jennifer March 13, 2013 at 3:15 PM

This is awesome. Can you shoot me some tips for a Skylanders party? There is NOTHING available. I would love to use those paper lanterns somehow.
Jennifer recently posted..What’s in your purse?My Profile

Mindi Stavish March 15, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Maybe you could make monters out of the lanterns. Big huge eyes and teeth and some spiny points at the top maybe with felt cleaners. I did a caterpillar face for my other son’s birthday with a lantern and it was pretty fun. I came up with a ton of pins on pinterest for skylander parties. http://pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=skylander+party

Justina Fravel April 10, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Where did you get your son’s shirt made?

Jennie April 17, 2013 at 6:52 PM

What size were the boxes? I am looking for some but i find them too expensive. $15 for 50 is a STEAL!

induction cooking June 18, 2013 at 10:01 AM

This is really attention-grabbing, You are an overly
professional blogger. I’ve joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking extra of your excellent post. Additionally, I’ve shared your web site in my social networks
induction cooking recently posted..induction cookingMy Profile

emergency appliance repairs July 25, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Heya! This is the second time visiting now and I just wanted
to say I truley fancy reading your web site.
I’ve decided to bookmark it at delicious.com with the title: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Party: Food, Decorations, and Activity Ideas and your Website address: http://stavishclan.com/2013/03/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtle-party-food-decorations-and-activity-ideas.html. I hope this is all right with you, I’m making an
attempt to give your wonderful blog a bit more publicity.
Be back soon.
emergency appliance repairs recently posted..emergency appliance repairsMy Profile

Rodney July 27, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Your way of telling everything in this paragraph is in fact fastidious,
every one be capable of without difficulty be aware of it, Thanks a lot.
Rodney recently posted..RodneyMy Profile

gym bags July 28, 2013 at 1:34 PM

My programmer is trying to convince me to move to .net from PHP.
I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses.

But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using Movable-type on various
websites for about a year and am nervous about switching to another platform.
I have heard great things about blogengine.

net. Is there a way I can import all my wordpress posts into it?

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!
gym bags recently posted..gym bagsMy Profile

Tracy August 5, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Cute party!! I’m planning one for my son who is turning 5 and in love with the TMNT….
Where did you get his shirt?? Love it….

Lyric Debra August 13, 2013 at 6:15 AM

Great and excellent kids party ideas and i felt very happy with this post. Without any doubt kids will enjoy with all these arrangements, thank you so much.

Danette October 1, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Where did you get your son’s shirt? Love it!

Janine October 25, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Love it! And I would also like to know where you got his shirt

personal ads online November 4, 2013 at 7:09 PM
Kylene November 15, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Wow, this was awesome. My 5 year old wants this for his party, and I want to make the Styrofoam turtle heads I haven’t seen anybody else do this and you did a fantastic job. Did you buy the full ball and cut them or did you buy half Styrofoam balls? What size did you buy?
Thank you and Great Job!!!