As summer is coming to an end (although I’m in denial of this fact the calendar says otherwise), here is what has made me most happy this summer.
1. New life. The birth of our third child, another baby boy. Ryker Owen.
2. Imagination. Blanket tents, superheros, cooking soup, and monster truck racing.
3. Exhilaration. It’s the simple things that make these boys smile, especially the kiddie pool.
4. Peace. I could watch him sleep all day long and never get bored.
5. Sweet and juicy. How he describes summer fruit. How he devours 5 slices of watermelon in one sitting.
6. Red. Spontaneous trips to the store that has our hearts and wallets. The dollar bin, the home decor, the little boys clothing. Irresistible.
7. Energize. Even on days when I feel exhausted, they keep me going. All. Day. Long. There is nothing better than hearing their giggles as we see saw up and down, over and over again.
8. Friendship. New and old friends, blogging friends, big and little friends.
9. Unforgettable. Local small summer adventures that are big to them. Running through the fountains, feeling the cool water on their skin, darting in and out of the endless cycle of water flowing through the park.
10. Love. Spending the past 9 weeks with these three. Although it has been exhausting and sometimes frustrating, there is no other place I would have rather been this summer than with these three boys. Even on the hardest days, there will never be another summer where they are the ages they are. They have grown so much physically, developmentally, and emotionally this summer. I am so happy I have been able to nurture them without the interruption of full-time work. I’m going to miss these days more than I can even fathom.